October 20th, 2022
Privacy in the workplace has changed drastically over the years. The following are just some examples of how privacy has changed:
- Monitoring employees’ cell phones
- Installing e-mail surveillance software
- Placing cameras in work areas and break rooms
- Storing files or pictures on a work computer
- Monitoring browsing history
Imagine that you are a department manager for a credit card company that handles confidential financial information for millions of consumers. One of your team members complained about your policy on prohibiting cell phones in the workplace to protect sensitive information. Discuss the following:
- Why are cell phones a potential legal issue for businesses?
- How would you respond to your team member?