It 13 activity 3
Name: Almontero, Mariel R.
Section: BSIT 3-1B
1. List and briefly describe the four most common wired topologies.
• Bus Topology – is a network setup where computers and networks are
connected in a single cable.
• Ring Topology – is a network configuration where connections are arranged
in a circular data path.
• Star Topology – is a network configuration where computer networks
connect to a central device that acts as a server.
• Mesh Topology – is a network setup where each computer and network
device are interconnected with one another.
2. Which topology is most often used in new networks and why? Then create your
own network example using the topology you choose.
Star Topology, it the most commonly used topology and it has a great
advantage since if one cable goes down, the other nodes or cables won’t be
affected and we can easily locate where the problem is.
3. Apply Your Knowledge Examine your home and business network systems.
Describe which topology is used in each and how you would expand that system
to eventually include additional users.
I worked in a school before and the topology they use for their computer
lab is a star topology, multiple cables are connected to a central hub. I think one
way to expand and add more computers for the computer lab is to connect more
computers in the hub or switch using additional cables.
Self- Assessment Question
True or False:
Instructions: Write T if the statement is true, and write F if the statement is false.
1. In a Star topology, packets are sent around the circle from computer to computer.
Each computer looks at each packet to decide whether the packet was intended
for it. FALSE
2. In a bus topology, every node on the network can see every packet that’s sent on
the cable. TRUE
3. Partial Mesh Topology In this topology some of the systems are connected in the
same fashion as mesh topology but some devices are only connected to two or
three devices. TRUE
4. In a tree topology It has a root node and all other nodes are connected to it
forming a hierarchy. It is also called hierarchical topology. TRUE
5. In a full mesh topology, it is two different types of topologies which is a mixture
of two or more topologies. FALSE
Instruction: Write the corresponding answer/answers for each question.
6 – 10 Give the advantages and dis advantages of Star Topologies.
It is very reliable
It is high-performing as no data collisions can occur
It is expensive to install
Extra hardware is required
If a hub or switch fails, all the devices connected to it will have no network
11 – 15 Give at least five advantages of Bus topology
It is cost effective
Used in small networks
It is easy to understand
Easy to expand joining two cables together
Cable required is least compared to another network topology